Saturday 10 October 2015

Doctor Who Review Ep. 1 - 3

Posted By: Doctor Who GEEK - 02:00:00

Share

& Comment

So... Doctor Who is BACKKK! It's first episode aired on September 19th, and has since had 3 big whoppers of episodes. As many of you already know, I am a big fan of Doctor Who ever since 2005. Up until recently though it has been not as enjoyable for me, especially series 8. However, the start of this series has blown my mind so lets see what I like and dislike in the first three episodes.. (SPOILERS ALERT)


The Magicians Apprentice

So first of all the title. For me I get no information about the episode and since seeing it I still don't understand why it is called it? If anyone has any theories please comment below as I would love to hear about them. The return of Missy was definitely not a favourable thing of mine, however, since this episode she has actually grown on me. The whole Master turning into Missy really put me off in the last series. The Master for me will always be John Simm and in my eyes could never become a woman. The same for the Doctor! The script definitely showed the humorous side of her which I liked, especially the Clara-Missy banter. GOOD JOB!


One scene I wasn't particularly keen on was the guitar scene. The only reason is because  I don't see its purpose. Yes it was funny and showed off Peter Capaldi's real life guitar skills, but I don't feel like it fitted in.  I did like that it was set in Essex, as this is my hometown. Well done Moffat. Another aspect that I'm not totally keen on is the 'Sonic glasses'. I'm hoping he creates a new screwdriver in the next few episodes as it is iconic to the show! 


The Witch's Familiar 

Now, the return of Davros really got me going. It was bringing back all the times with David Tennant back into my memory. (My favourite years of Doctor Who). The sinisterness of Davros pretending to entice the Doctor was fab, even I believed him. The part where he opened his eyes, creeped me OUT!


His sidekick was also a good creation, with the whole turning into a snake thing. What I wasn't keen on was the hovering thing as it reminded me of those new airboards....

But onto the cliffhangers! Moffat seems to be loving the cliffhangers, as do I. I feel it makes us want to know what happens next week instead of quickly moving on to the next adventure. So far we have seen two cliffhangers and by reading the titles there seems to be more to come. 

Under the Lake

I have to say that this episode scared me. Which is probably a good thing. The ghost monsters were just scary. Being under a lake with dozens of corridors makes me feel claustrophobic, so I'm glad I'm not there! This setting also reminded me, I have also seen many similiar opinions, of the Impossible Planet episode. The whole Scooti Manista getting blown out of the room and you seeing her floating away, similar to Pritchard's fate, but obviously with no Oods. 


I am definitely on the side of loving Clara's character. There is a division in the Doctor Who fandom between loving and hating this character. I feel she has come on leaps and bounds. This is not to say Jenna's acting is what's improving because she has been brilliant from the start, it's just the storylines. I am loving the wittyness and one liner's that she has been coming out with. "I lost my sunglasses and my dignity", "Don't leave me hanging"and "You actually poo pooed the ghost theory". Love it! GO ON Clara!


I also loved the diversity of having someone sign! Especially as she was the captain as well. Characters are created so people look up to them and to see a person who is deaf, solving and surviving is an amazing idea. Another well done Moffat! 

Episode 4 - Before the Flood, aires today. Many things are going through my mind, with the main one being - is the Doctor dead?!!!

This blog has been very long winded but I hope you have liked my opinions on the first 3 episodes of Doctor Who. I would love to know your views of each episode so comment below!!

See you on the other side of WHO.

Em
x

(All photos used were taken from the Official Doctor Who website - BBC Copyright)

About Doctor Who GEEK

Organic Theme. We published High quality Blogger Templates with Awesome Design for blogspot lovers.The very first Blogger Templates Company where you will find Responsive Design Templates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Travels of a Doctor Who GEEK!

Designed by Templatezy