Tuesday 10 November 2015

Lewes Bonfire

Posted By: Doctor Who GEEK - 02:30:00

Share

& Comment

It's a local tradition in Lewes to create the biggest bonfire party across the country and they certainly do that! Since moving to Brighton in 2013 I had yet to discover the wonders of Lewes on bonfire night but I finally did it last Thursday and I can say I had an amazing evening. Despite getting totally soggy and cold I have never experienced such scenes before...

The evening begins with a lot of parades which consist of fire torches, fire crackers, drummers and effigies. Now if you are new to Lewes' traditions like I was you would not know a lot about their effigies. Effigies normally come in the shape of controversial people. This year they had David Cameron, Sepp Blatter and Jeremy Clarkson. These tall statues are dragged in the parades and eventually find themselves at one of the six bonfires. They would then be blown up!


I have never screamed so much in my life, so many fire crackers are set off so near to you. I had a lovely evening with my lovely girls and would definitely recommend this night to anyone. If I would give tips to people I would say;

1. Wrap up warm and prepare for rain (as you know the South is known for its rain)
2. Wear clothes that you know you will get smelly
3. Get their early enough - trains and buses do get busy pretty quick
4. Be prepared for crowds, along the road and queueing for trains
5. Learn the route and know what bonfire events you will be going to. 


After the parades there are six bonfire events along with fireworks. We went to the site where there was a 50ft Guy Fawkes. The event was supposed to start at approximately 9:45 but however, it did not start till 10:30. The firework display was impressive even if we didn't stay for too long (some of us have trains to get on!). I have heard though that they go on until 1 in the morning, how crazy. 

I'll leave a video below to give you an idea of what it was like. I thoroughly suggest going next year, its something you have to experience at least once! (Hopefully it works)...




Hope you all had a good bonfire night whatever you are doing

Em
xxx

About Doctor Who GEEK

Organic Theme. We published High quality Blogger Templates with Awesome Design for blogspot lovers.The very first Blogger Templates Company where you will find Responsive Design Templates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Travels of a Doctor Who GEEK!

Designed by Templatezy