Tuesday 7 June 2016

Brighton Convention '16

Posted By: Doctor Who GEEK - 02:30:00

Share

& Comment

It was that time again - Brighton Convention! It is the second ever convention held in Brighton and luckily I am still living down here to get to it. I love this type of convention as it is really quiet, the queues are non-existent and you get 10 minutes with your favourite guests! I also took along too convention virgins and this was the perfect place to let them into the convention scene gently. Normally I do a whole weekend but I could fit it all in one day so I did. Here's what happened......

Groot Photo

The day started off very quiet as I got an early entry ticket but nothing was really happening. I took this time to go and meet the very tall Groot model in the prop shoot area. 


Doctor Who and Harry Potter Talk

Then I went to a Doctor Who and Harry Potter which I loved as you get to find out inside knowledge on the films and tv shows that you love. These talks didn't have a lot of audience members in them but the guests were so funny onstage that it felt more intimate. This then set me up to meet the guests face to face as I always seem to get a bit nervous beforehand. This didn't help that I was doing this alone for the first part but luckily my friends came further on. What was funny from the Doctor Who talk was that Sylvestor McCoy was blessing us as we walked out the hall, "Thank you my children, thank you" - such a nutter!

Firstly I met Devon (Seamus), he was very lovely (as were all the guests I met) and we spoke about what his last scene was and if he was still friends with people from Harry Potter. Then I met Anna Schaffer (Romilda Vane) and we spoke about the Doctor Who spin-off Class. She couldn't say much as its still all very much in production and filming. She was very beautiful and I loved her hair. Then I met Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown), who was very pregnant bless her..she apologised for not getting up to get in the photo! Her style was very kooky and she looks nothing like Lavender. You should definitely check her out on Twitter as she does these really funny Doodles! I've rarely had the opportunity to meet Harry Potter people so hopefully this is the first of many. 
Camille Coduri

I have wanted to meet Camille for years and she very rarely does convention where I go, so this was great! She was definitely the first guest that made me want to go. I first met her in the photoshoot area and I thanked her for the photo. I then went to get her autograph and she said "We had a photoshoot earlier!". Yes Camille!! We talked about her being on holiday, if she's still in contact with Billie and Noel and just general chat. She was so easy to talk to which is great because you go up with questions but never know if its going to get awkwardly silent. She appreciated every guest she saw, so if she's ever at a convention go meet her! She talks and looks exactly how she is on screen!

Kristian Nairn 

Now I have met Kristian once before back in 2014, the first convention I went to as a Game of Thrones fan. Normally I don't meet a guest more than once unless they are too nice not to meet again and Kristian was definitely one of those. Ever since his last episode aired I just knew I had to meet him. I am also making tote bags and decided it could be good to get him to sign a tote bag that related to his character. I went to the Game of Thrones talk, which was packed out (well deserved though), and this was THE funniest talk of the day. Kristian and Dan bounced off each other and I don't think I stopped laughing. I love getting the guests opinion on different characters in the show and how close they all are as friends behind the scenes. After this talk I was buzzing to go and see them. I went over to Kristian and asked if he could sign my bag , which he said he really liked as I told him I had handpainted it! I then asked for him to take a photo with the bag and if I could have a photo. He jokingly said to me "Do you also want my car keys and to know what blood type I am?". Love him! I've added a photo of myself and him back in 2014 compared to Saturday's one....



Daniel Portman 

Now I was very excited to meet Dan again as I had also met him at LFCC 2014 where we somehow talked about me coming from Essex. He was very lovely then but I had only ever got an autograph. As it was a quiet convention I thought I would get a photoshoot. Now this definitely didn't disappoint! I went with the intention of getting a funny photoshoot as I had seen previous shoots that looked like Dan didn't really mind what he was asked to do. However, I didn't have a particular pose to do, so when I got up to him I literally said "Do you mind if we do a funny pose?". He quickly came out with "Do you want to get on my back?". I obviously agreed and ended up having a piggyback from Dan! He was so lovely and asked for my name. Following this we went to the talk where his lovely personality came out further. I had not planned to go meet Dan at the table as I had already got his autograph once before but after that photoshoot I just had to. I definitely didn't regret this either. He was so lovely and asked if I was having a good day and who I was there to see. We chatted for a while about him trying to tie his hair up and then he asked if I was there all weekend. I said that I wasn't and that I would be going to London Con so he said he would try to remember my name and that I should come and see him again. I am definitely taking him up on this as he is literally one of the most funniest down to earth guests I have met. I have added a photo from 2014 of Dan signing my first ever autograph to the two latest photos from Saturday. (The hair has definitely grown Dan!)..





This convention reminded me of why I started going to them in 2011. I love meeting guests as I get a real buzz after meeting them especially when they are as nice and welcoming as Camille, Kristian and Dan. To see them on TV to real life is amazing and I hope that I don't stop this anytime soon. This convention also made me realise how much London Comic Con has become hyped up and crazy, this was a small yet chilled out day that I absolutely enjoyed. I have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing celebrities and friends through these conventions. Conventions are literally where I feel my happiest and can be taken away from reality... 

Have you been to conventions? Let me know who you have recently met!

Love Em
xxxxxxx




About Doctor Who GEEK

Organic Theme. We published High quality Blogger Templates with Awesome Design for blogspot lovers.The very first Blogger Templates Company where you will find Responsive Design Templates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Travels of a Doctor Who GEEK!

Designed by Templatezy