Saturday 21 May 2016

Body Confidence

Posted By: Doctor Who GEEK - 06:08:00

Share

& Comment

Now this isn't like my normal blog posts but I feel like it needs to be said. Body confidence is a huge issue in todays society and I can't say that I haven't been affected by it because I have. Magazines portray such unrealistic bodies and most have been photoshopped anyway. University has done me the world of good and I want to share some of things that have made me love who I am.....

Since coming to university my body didn't annoy me because I have always been quite skinny, which I have been lucky with. However, in first year my body changed quite quick and it made me hate looking at other girls. I was short, weak and surrounded by unrealistic targets. In first year I had a free gym membership, I would go once a week and just run on the treadmill or bike it. This was doing me no favours. It was when I went to my first Zumba class that I started to gain confidence and enjoy something I loved doing.

I went by myself (which is something I would never have done before) and loved every minute of it.  The whole idea of being comfortable in your own body is spread in every Zumba class you go to. I seriously am in love with this class and always look forward to the next one.  Thanks to my lovely Zumba teacher Alex, I have also been thinking about becoming a Zumba instructor, her classes are so energetic and fun that its something I really want to do. 

Next I started going to go Yogalates to improve my dodgy hips and relieve my stress from the week. Once I had started to go on a regular basis I could see the improvements I was making which made me very happy. I also advise taking regular progress shots as you will be able to see the gradual changes that are happening. This is one thing I regret not doing as much. So it wasn't until my third year that I decided to change up my gym routine as I knew nothing was really changing. I paid for personal training sessions to help me start the journey on weight training. I go once/ twice a week and try to step up my weights gradually and I can really see the change in my arms. If I told my past self that I would be squatting 42.5kg and lifting 22.5 kg I wouldn't have believed it. Yes, compared to other people that is nothing but to me thats everything. 
I have surrounded myself with supportive friends and go to classes I am very passionate about. If you aren't confident with yourself then you should try to do something about it. I did and I have not looked back. I get surprised every time I get compliments but I have worked so hard and still have a long way to go. The journey is the fun thing. I don't want to reach my goal straight away, I want to enjoy every moment I have trying to get fit. Of course I have days where I don't feel the best but I go to Zumba and come out feeling so much better. Even if you don't do it to get physically fit, it makes you mentally fit. 

And I can't say that I eat healthy every single day because we all need junk food from time to time or a big Harvester cake! I just want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me get to where I am, from my instructors to my beautiful friends. We should all support each other and not judge!

Love Em
xx




About Doctor Who GEEK

Organic Theme. We published High quality Blogger Templates with Awesome Design for blogspot lovers.The very first Blogger Templates Company where you will find Responsive Design Templates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Travels of a Doctor Who GEEK!

Designed by Templatezy